The Gilpin County Slash Site is now open for the season


Selling a Vehicle


A title is required to sell a vehicle in Colorado. You, as the seller, and any other party listed on the title as owner, must sign and print their names on the back of the title to verify the odometer reading if applicable on the “signature of seller” portion of the title. Some states use titles which require notarization of the seller's signature. If you are unsure about the need for notarization, please call the Clerk and Recorder's office at (303) 582-5321. The signature of the seller must match the name of the owner exactly as it is printed on the title. If a selling party's name has been signed off by a Secured Power of Attorney, that document is also required.

Example: if the title reads FRED AND SUSIE Q. JONES, then the signatures on the title must read: Fred Jones and Susie Q. Jones.

Example: if the title reads JOHN ALBERT SMITH, JR., then the signature on the title must read: John Albert Smith, Jr.

Example: if the title reads ADAMS, GEORGE then the signature must be made on the title in the normal written order. The first name written first, then the last name: George Adams.

After the seller's signature has been notarized (if necessary), have the buyer enter their name on the “convey to” portion of the title exactly how they want their name to appear on the title. If the names of the buyer's and seller's do not match their identifications, a DR2421 (A Statement of One In The Same) will need to be filled out and turned in. The buyer then must present the title to the Clerk and Recorder's office in order to complete the transfer.

In addition to the properly signed and notarized title, you, as the seller, should give the buyer a bill of sale which contains the perjury clause. Bill of sale forms are available at the Clerk and Recorder's office.

Lastly, the seller of the vehicle should always keep their license plates. The plates are NOT to stay with the vehicle. It is the responsibility of the new owner to come into the Clerk and Recorder's office and obtain either license plates or a temporary registration.