Gilpin County is currently under Stage 1 Fire Restrictions. Learn more.


Marriage License Information

The marriage license must be used in the State of Colorado, and applicants for a marriage license do not have to be Colorado residents. Note that a couple already married may obtain a license by stating that they are married to each other.

Statewide Index of Marriages and Dis-solutions
To research records from 1975 to current - within 6 months, go to

To obtain a marriage license...
Note the Prohibitions

Couples are prohibited from marrying in the following cases:

  • When one of the parties is still married to another person; 
  • Brother and Sister;
  • Uncle and Niece (Whether the relationship is by half or whole blood);
  • Aunt and Nephew (Whether the relationship is by half or whole blood).
  • Parental Consent

Legal age without parental consent is 18 for both parties involved.

If either of the parties are under the age of 18 and over the age of 16, written and notarized consent signed by both parents (or parent having legal custody), or legal guardian is required.

If either of the parties are under the age of 16, a Judicial Court Order from the court jurisdiction is required.

Complete the Application

Download, print, and complete the application or come to the office to complete one.

Marriage Application

Schedule an Appointment

As of June 1, 2021, we are accepting walk-ins for marriage licenses but appointments are preferred. To make an appointment, please call 303-582-5321 or email

Bring the Correct Documents

Legal identification for proof of age is required. All forms of identification must be verifiable in the United States.

The following are acceptable:

  • Driver’s License
  • Birth Certificate (Original or Certified Copy)
  • Military I.D.
  • Valid Passport
  • State Issued Identification

The following are NOT acceptable:

  • Baptismal Certificates
  • Mexican Consular I.D. (Matricula Consular)

The Clerk and Recorder's office will also request the following information:

  • Social Security Number
  • Place of birth for both applicants
  • Names of both parents for both applicants
  • Address of both parents for both applicants

If divorced, the individual will need to provide the following information:


  • Date
  • Place
  • Court where the final decree was granted
  • Identification

In Colorado a blood test is NOT required!

Who Should be Present

It is recommended that both parties be present to apply for the marriage license. However, if this is not a possibility, one party must appear with a completed and notarized affidavit as well as identification for the absent party.

Party must be in office for application no later than 3:30 p.m.

Pay the Fee

The fee to obtain a marriage license is $30.00.

We now accept credit cards!

Your license may be used immediately within the State of Colorado and is valid for 30 days from the date of issue. You may purchase your license at any of the Clerk and Recorder's offices in Colorado.

Additional Information


Gilpin County Old Courthouse
203 Eureka Street
Central City, CO 80427



Monday - Thursday
7:30am to 5:30pm


Recorded documents received after 4:30 p.m. will be recorded on the next business day.

Last in-person Recording transaction will be taken at 4:50pm.


State Vital Records Office

Birth, death and other vital records


Other Information

Public Records Request Policy

Clerk Fee Schedule


Common Law Affidavit

Also available is a Common Law Affidavit for completion for some insurance purposes. You can file the form by mailing it to our office with a check for $13 made out to Gilpin County Clerk and Recorder.

View the Common Law Affidavit form.

Marriage Solemnization

Marriages may be solemnized by the following people:

  • Judges;
  • Retired Judges;
  • Magistrates;
  • Ordained Minister;
  • Indian Tribe Officials and Clergy;
  • The couple themselves.

The person who does solemnize the marriage must forward the marriage certificate to the County Clerk and Recorder’s office within sixty (60) days after the marriage.

Judges may be contacted through Gilpin County Combined Courts at (303) 582-5522.

Heirloom Certificate

The Heirloom Certificate for births, civil unions and marriages is available at the State Vital Records Office. For additional information please see Official Heirloom Certificates.