Public Works is applying fresh dust control on Apex Valley and Dory Hill roads June 13, weather permitting. Alternate routes are advised.


Purchasing a Vehicle


Purchasing a Vehicle
from a Dealer

If you are purchasing a new or used vehicle from a Colorado dealer, the dealer will provide the sales tax receipts, title or Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO), and an application for Colorado title (DR2395). Please bring in all paperwork received from the dealer and proof of Colorado insurance and acceptable identification.

The Colorado title should be presented to the County Clerk of the county in which you reside. A vehicle has to be registered within 60 days of purchase or late fees will be incurred in the amount of $25.00 a month. You will also have to pay any accumulated ownership tax that is due.

from a Private Party

Colorado is a title issuing state; therefore, a title is required to transfer ownership on all motor vehicles, including trailers.

When a vehicle is purchased from a private party who has a Colorado title the following is required from the seller:

  1. The title which has been properly signed by all selling parties with notarization of the signatures, if required. New Colorado titles do not require a notary. Older titles may require a notary, both signatures and hand-printed names of all parties are required; however, a Statement of Transfer (DR2445) will be accepted in lieu of notarization. If a selling party's name has been signed off by a Secured Power of Attorney, that document is also required.
  2. A bill of sale that describes the vehicle's year, make, VIN, along with purchase price and date. This is only required when the title does not include a space for the purchase price and date.
  3. If the vehicle is less than 10 years old and weighs 10,000 lbs or less, an odometer reading must be completed on the title.
  4. Collection of sales tax is based on the purchase price of the vehicle.
  5. A Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Verification is required on all out of state titles/vehicles. You can have this done at any local law enforcement agency, any Colorado Dealer or Emission Station.
    1. A certified VIN is required for bonded titled vehicles, rebuilt vehicles, reconstructed vehicles and vehicles assembled from a kit (including trailers). 
    2. Certified VIN inspections are $50. 
    3. The inspecting agency will have the necessary forms. 
    4. Gilpin County Sheriff Department - (303) 582-5500 Call to request an appointment for a certified VIN. Regular VIN inspections can be completed at the Sheriff's Department by walking in, or by calling (303) 582-5500 to make arrangements for an inspection at the Sheriff's Office, your residence, place of work or the County Courthouse, subject to availability. Gilpin Residents only. Please bring all your paperwork, ID and the car being inspected. 
and Financing or Leasing It

If you have purchased a vehicle and it is being financed or leased through a dealer or financial institution your paperwork should be sent directly to the Clerk and Recorder's office for processing. We will notify you via postcard when the paperwork has been received and you may come down to put plates on your new vehicle.

Please bring in the postcard, proof of Colorado insurance, and identification. Please bring in plates and current registration from a previously owned vehicle to apply any credit that may be transferable. Proof of Colorado insurance is required before our office can register any vehicle.

There will be a fee collected at that time to register your vehicle for the next year.

Vehicles being registered in Colorado for the first time may need a weight slip.

from Out of State
  1. If you have the title in your possession, bring it with you to our office along with your current registration (photocopies not accepted), and we will issue a Colorado title. If you do not have the title in your possession (either the title is being held by a lienholder, or in storage), a current registration is acceptable in order to establish a suspense record for you to buy Colorado license plates. If you don't surrender your out-of-state title, you will not receive a Colorado title. However, your out-of-state title is still valid for transfer of ownership or to establish a lien. We recommend surrender of the out-of-state title because, should the title become lost or destroyed, you will need to contact the state in which it was issued in order to replace the title; this can be more costly and time consuming.
  2. In addition to the title and/or registration, the State of Colorado requires a verification of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), to match the number on the title or registration. This inspection can be done by any local law enforcement agency, Colorado dealer or emission station. If you are moving from a non-title state, your vehicle may require a Certified VIN Inspection or other documents. This procedure may require you to speak with one of our clerks for complete details. Please call our office at (303) 582-5321 to speak with a clerk.
    1. A certified VIN is required for bonded titled vehicles, rebuilt vehicles, reconstructed vehicles and vehicles assembled from a kit (including trailers). 
    2. Certified VIN inspections are $50. 
    3. You will need an appointment with the Gilpin Sheriff's Office if you need a certified VIN inspection from them. Call 303-582-5500 to schedule an appointment.
    4. The inspecting agency will have the necessary forms for a certified VIN inspection. 
  3. Weight slips are required on all motor homes and trucks with an empty weight of more than 4500 pounds. (If the weight is not displayed on the out-of-state title or registration.)
  4. Proof of Colorado insurance and identification is required before our office can register any vehicle.
Temporary Permits

A Temporary Permit is a paper license plate which may expire in 60 days. This permit is issued by a Colorado dealer when you purchase a new or used vehicle through the dealership. If your tag has expired and you have not yet received your Title Complete Notice, please contact your dealer for an extension on the permit.

When the purchase of a vehicle is made from a private party, the new owner may obtain a temporary permit from our office if they are unable to register the vehicle immediately. A bill of sale and the properly signed and notarized title is required to obtain a permit, however we usually register the vehicle in lieu of issuing a temp tag. You may not drive your vehicle without a tag or temp permit.

For the most up to date information on temporary permits, please visit:

Temp Tags

Buying and Selling a Vehicle

Additional Resources

Joint Tenancy w/rights of survivorship acknowledgement of Intent DR2395

State of Colorado Power of Attorney for Motor Vehicle DR2175