Gilpin County is currently under Stage 1 Fire Restrictions. Learn more.


Liquor Licenses

Colorado liquor and beer retail licenses are issued by a two-step process through the local and state licensing authorities. Information on the process can be accessed via the links below or through the Gilpin County Clerk and Recorder’s Office. Liquor license applications for businesses within the unincorporated area of Gilpin County (outside the cities of Black Hawk and Central City) are first reviewed and approved by the Board of County Commissioners, sitting as the Local Liquor Licensing Authority. The applications are then reviewed by the Liquor Enforcement Division of the Colorado Department of Revenue.

Applications can be made for new licenses or transfers of existing licenses, either of which can take several months to acquire; prospective business owners should contact the Clerk and Recorder’s Office well in advance of their projected opening date to avoid a delay. Current liquor license holders should be aware of their license’s expiration date; if a renewal form has not been sent by the Colorado Department of Revenue 90 days prior to the expiration date, the forms can be accessed via the link below.

For new license applications, a public hearing must be held before the Local Liquor Licensing Authority. All hearings will be posted on the proposed license premises at least ten days prior to the hearing and a notice of public hearing will be published in the County’s newspaper of record. Hearings are not held on transfers of existing licenses. For both new and transfer applications, background checks will be performed. Required forms must be submitted with appropriate fees before any processing can begin. Licenses may be held in the name of corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, or individuals. Non-profit organizations may apply for special event licenses for up to ten days each year; public hearings are held on special event applications. Applications must be submitted at least 45 days before the scheduled event.

Where and when can a license be obtained in Gilpin County, Colorado:

Monday through Thursday 7:30am to 5:30pm.

Gilpin County Old Courthouse
203 Eureka Street
Central City, CO 80427