Gilpin County Historic Courthouse front porch/entrance will be closed May 16 to June 17. Signs will redirect visitors.


Gilpin Cares

Gilpin Cares


Gilpin Cares was developed in collaboration with first responders and the Gilpin County Public Health Agency to provide accessible information about referral services and programs available to our residents. This tool is available here on the public health website, and physical copies have also been given to first responders and public-facing employees to keep on-hand. 

Colorado Crisis Services 

Suicide and Crisis Lifeline: Call or Text 988 (24/7 call or text access to trained crisis counselors)

Crisis is self-defined, services are available to anyone who needs support for suicidal thoughts, mental health concerns, substance use or other emotional distress.

Services are also available to those who are worried about a loved one who may need crisis support.


Jefferson Center Mental Health Resources

In-Person and virtual services available

Jefferson Center 24/7 Direct Crisis Line 303-432-5525 (Available 24/7/365)

Jefferson Center Main Line: 303-425-0300 (M-Th, 7:30-6:00, Fridays 7:30-5:00)

The Jefferson Center offers a variety of telehealth and in-person services to help strengthen the health and wellness of our community members.

  • Gilpin Based Crisis Clinician
  • Mobile MAT (Medicated Assistance Treatment)
  • Intensive outpatient therapy and case management
  • Home-based counseling for adults 60+
  • Psychiatric medication evaluation and monitoring
  • Early childhood and family-based behavioral health services
  • On-site School-based behavioral health prevention and therapeutic intervention services


Child and Adult Protective Services 

Supervisor: Paige Sons  

For questions, contact Paige Sons at 303-582-5444 (M-F, 8:00-4:30)

To report a concern, call 1-844-264-5437 (24/7 Hotline)

Child Protective Services Include:

  • Family support services 
  • Support programs that address adolescent parents, kinship caregivers; or families facing health mental health, domestic violence and/or substance abuse issues

Adult Protective Services Include

  • Receiving and investigating reports of abuse, neglect or exploitation.
  • Providing casework, arranging and coordinating services.
  •  Information and referrals to community resources, including public assistance benefits.


 Neglect/ Abuse in Vulnerable Populations (Adults and Children)

If you OBSERVE or SUSPECT any of the following for a child or an at-risk adult or elder (70+ years of age, disabled, OR cognitively declined) call the 24/7 confidential Colorado State Hotline:

Colorado Abuse and Neglect Reporting Hotline: 1-844-264-5437 (24/7 Hotline)

Signs of neglect/abuse towards children, at risk and elderly adults:

  • Physical, emotional, sexual, or institutional abuse or exploitation
  • Neglect or injurious environment
  • Self –neglect or caretaker neglect (Adults)

Report what you OBSERVE, LISTEN to what you hear, ASSESS the situation, ask FOLLOW UP questions!

Financial and Medical Services

Supervisor: David Josselyn 
Human Services Phone: 303-582-5444 (M-F, 8:00-4:30)
Available programs

  • Medicaid    
  • Child care financial assistance
  • Colorado Works
  • Old age pension
  • Supplemental food assistance
  • Aid to the needy disabled        

Health First Colorado Nurse Advice Line: 1-800-283-3221 
(24/7 Health First Colorado member hotline for medical information and advice)

Senior Services

Supervisor: Mary Ellen Makosky
505-515-4292 (M-F, 8:00-4:30)

Services Include:

  • Durable medical equipment lending program: wheelchairs, walkers, crutches, canes shower chairs, and other equipment available to borrow at request
  • Medical alert devices for Gilpin residents: set up through the Gilpin Ambulance Authority
  • Twice weekly lunches at the Gilpin County Community Center
  • Transportation services to scheduled senior luncheons, weekly grocery shopping, and medical/dental visits. Door-to-door service is provided
  • Meals on Wheels delivered to the home bound
  • Educational and recreational activities

Veterans Services

Veterans Services Officer: Leon Pohl, 303-513-4297

Services Include:

  • Preparation of forms                                          
  • Documentation of claims and pertinent data
  • Discharge assistance
  • Assistance with Medicaid and Medicare forms
  • Enrollment for Veterans
  • Assistance with VA Medical Center Appointments
  • Proper submission and case management of claims to appropriate agencies 

Clinica Family Health Clinic

Gilpin Location: 972 Golden Gate Canyon Rd., Ste. 300, Black Hawk, CO 80422
Nederland Location: 80 Big Springs Dr. Ste. 102, Nederland, CO 80466

Phone: 303-650-4460

Gilpin Clinic Hours: Tuesday, Friday 8:00-5:00 (closed for lunch 12-1)
Nederland Clinic Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 8:00-5:00 (closed for lunch 12-1)
Appointment scheduling available M,T,Th,F-8:00-4:15, W-9:00-4:15 (303-650-4460)

In 2022, Clinica opened two new locations to serve mountain communities; One located at the High Country Professional Building in Gilpin County and the other in the Hub Ned building in Nederland.

Both part-time clinics offer a full scope of primary care services including well visits, prenatal care, immunizations, chronic disease treatment, lab services, minor surgical procedures and acute care.

  • Convenient telehealth appointments are available. 

Food Resources 

Human Services Phone: 303-582-5444 (M-F, 8:00-4:30)

Food Pantry:

101 Norton Drive, Black Hawk CO 80422
Available to all Gilpin County residents regardless of income
Call Human Services at 303-582-5444 for hours and availability

Summer Lunch Box (SLB):

Provides food for lunches to children and youth, and encourages kids to make their own meals and to think about their nutrition.  Every two weeks, kids (and parents) get to choose from various kid-friendly lunch items for two weeks of meals.  The program runs June-August. Be sure to look for information on Facebook or

Public Health 

Public Health Director: Alisa Witt
Main Line: 303-582-5803 (M-Th, 7:30-5:30)
Please contact the Public Health Department for questions or concerns about:

  • Communicable disease
  • Animal bites (domestic and wild)
  • Safe housing concerns
  • Lead paint, lead dust exposure
  • Septic and well water systems, water quality testing
  • Landlord concerns