Septic and Well Information

Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems (Septic Systems)

Regulation and permitting of Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems (OWTS) is managed jointly by Gilpin County Community Development and Gilpin County Public Health. 

Use Permits for Title Transfer

If you are selling a property with a home in unincorporated Gilpin County, you must have the property's septic system inspected and obtain a Use Permit prior to going under contract. Use Permits are valid for 6 months. Failure to obtain a Use Permit can subject you to a daily accruing penalties under Colorado law.

Apply for Use Permit

OWTS Regulations and Fees

Gilpin County OWTS Regulations 2018

Colorado Regulation 43

OWTS Fee Schedule 2015

BOH Refund Policy

BOH Policy on Determining Suitability of Existing OWTS.

BOH Policy on Maintenance of Mechanical and Secondary OWTS


The use and construction of private wells is regulated by the State of Colorado Division of Water Resources. To apply for construction of a well, locate permitted well records, and to view the state's well permit map click below: 

DNR Well Permitting


CSU Private Well Fact Sheet

EPA Site for Septic Information

Contact Information

Community Development

For questions about applying for a permit, septic records, and scheduling inspections contact Community Development: and

Public Health

For all other questions, contact Public Health: and