Building Inspection Requests
We are transitioning to online inspection requests for building permits. Not all existing permits will allow for you to schedule an inspection request online. If you are unable to request an inspection through the permit portal, contact staff to schedule an inspection for you at (303)582-5831. If we do not answer your call, leave a message with the address, permit number, and inspection type requested.
For Monday inspections, you must request the inspection before the prior Thursday at 4pm MST. For Wednesday inspections you must request the inspection the Tuesday the day before by 4pm MST.
Processing & Plan Review Time
Please be advised that processing times for building permits have increased. New single family dwellings can take 8-12 weeks from application. Other permits can take 4-8 weeks from application. If you fail to provide complete plans, if plan changes are required, this will increase your permit processing time. Please plan your project accordingly. If you start work without a permit, you will be subject to an enforcement action.
Design Criteria (Climate & Geographic Minimum Standards)
Contractor Registration Required
Contractors must provide proof of passing score for applicable ICC exam or have a valid license from another ICC jurisdiction.
Electrical and Plumbing Permits
All electrical and plumbing permits in unincorporated Gilpin County are now being issued by the county effective March 1st, 2023. If you have an active permit issued by the State, you will continue and complete your existing permit with the State.
Building Permit Fees
Adopted Building Codes per Resolution 23-35 Effective 6.28.23
ICC International Residential Code 2018
ICC International Building Code 2018
ICC International Mechanical Code 2018
ICC Energy Conservation Code 2018
ICC International Fire Code 2018
ICC International Plumbing Code 2018
ICC International Fuel Gas Code 2018
National Electric Code 2020
Reroof Requirements (Note: Physical mid roof inspections are mandatory.)
Contact Community Development
For assistance with applying for a permit or scheduling an inspection contact Community Development staff via email or at:
To contact a Building Inspector or Plan Reviewer directly for questions about plan review or inspections on an existing permit:
*Do not use this number to request an inspection, to ask questions about the permitting process, or to pay for a building permit. Contact Community Development staff instead.
Mondays & Wednesdays Only
Monday - Thursday
7:30am to 5:30pm
Code Compliance Officer
Permit Tech/Office Assistant
- Building Permits are Required to:
- Construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure.
- Erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system.
- Grade, excavate, fill or cut existing ground.
- Building Permits are Not Required for any the Following:
- One-story detached accessory structures, provided that the floor area does not exceed 120 Square feet 18.5m2).
- Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet (1219mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
- Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18.927L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
- Sidewalks and driveways (however a Driveway/Access Permit from Public Works is required).
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
- Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep.
- Swings and other playground equipment.
- Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches (1372mm) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
- Decks not exceeding 200 square feet (18.58m2) in area, that are not more than 30 inches (762mm) above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4.
- Engineered Plans
Gilpin County requires all plans to be include an original stamp of a Colorado licensed engineer or architect except as exempted below: *
- Single story detached garages or sheds up to 250 square feet where wall height does not exceed 10’ and garage door opening does not exceed 8’ in width. Such space shall not include living space and shall not be heated or plumbed.
- Decks not more than 3 feet above grade with floor joist span < 10’.
* If, in the estimation of the plans reviewer, code compliance cannot be confidently established from the plans submitted, engineered drawing shall be required.
- Land Survey Requirements
Proposed development where any of the following is true shall provide a land survey plat before permit is issued:
- Any parcel legally described as a mining claim, lode, mill, placer, or identified by a M. S. number by deed or title; or, a previously divided portion of any of the above.
- All commercial development on commercially zoned land.
- All sites abutting, adjoining or crossed by the Gilpin County line.
- All sites traversed by an existing non-platted access road serving additional offsite lots or parcels shall require a land survey and centerline description of said non-platted road.
Where building improvements are proposed to be within 10’ of the applicable setback line, or where a setback variance was granted by the Board of Adjustment, a Setback Verification Form signed and stamped by a Colorado licensed PLS shall be required.