Building Division

Building Division

Building Permits & Inspections

Holiday Inspection Schedule No Inspections on Monday December 25th, 2023 or Monday January 1st, 2024. Regular inspections will occur on Wednesday December 27th, 2023 and January 3rd, 2024.

Community Development staff can not answer questions about the requirements of the building code, overview passed/failed inspections, or explain building inspection requirements. If you need to talk directly to a building inspector or plan reviewer, you must call (877)840-6041 and leave a message with your permit number, project address, and contact information to be followed up with. Allow up to 2 business days for a response. Building officials can not provide consultation or design advice. If you need assistance with designing your project we encourage you to contact a licensed Colorado Engineer or Architect. 

Single Family Home Required Inspections

Winter 2023-2024 Inspection Guidelines

Inspections are done on Monday and Wednesday only. They must be requested online through your permit application on our online portal. You must request an inspection online by 5pm the day prior to inspection. You will be given a time for inspection the morning of the inspection which will show up on the online portal. The inspector will arrive within 2 hours of this window. If your inspection has been scheduled in the portal do not contact office staff until 2 hours after the inspection window for failure to show. 

Apply for Permit/Request Inspection

Contact a Building Inspector/Official: (877)840-6041 (Leave a message with callback number and permit number)

Contact Staff: communitydevelopment@gilpincounty.org or (303)582-5831

Processing & Plan Review Time

Please be advised that processing times for building permits have increased. New single family dwellings can take 8-12 weeks from application. Other permits can take 4-8 weeks from application. If you fail to provide complete plans, if plan changes are required, this will increase your permit processing time. Please plan your project accordingly. If you start work without a permit, you will be subject to an enforcement action. 

Design Criteria (Climate & Geographic Minimum Standards)

Climate & Geographic Design Criteria Effective 1.1.23

Gilpin County Energy Code Requirements (R Values & U Factors)

Contractor Registration Required

Contractors must provide proof of passing score for applicable ICC exam or have a valid license from another ICC jurisdiction. 

Apply for Contractor Registration

Electrical and Plumbing Permits

All electrical and plumbing permits in unincorporated Gilpin County are now being issued by the county effective March 1st, 2023. If you have an active permit issued by the State, you will continue and complete your existing permit with the State. 

Electrical Utility Meter Release for United Power or Xcel Energy

To obtain a meter release you need to pull an electrical permit, have a qualified electrician inspect the work or electrical connected to the meter, then request a meter release inspection online through your permit application. Once that inspection is complete, we will send notice to release the meter to either Untied Power or Xcel Energy. 

Building Permit Fees

Fee Schedule Effective 2.1.24

Building Permits Required

Construction of any primary structure whether it be residential or commercial requires a building permit regardless of size. Most vacant land in Gilpin County is zoned RR, Resource Residential or RS, Residential Subdivision. Vacant, residentially zoned land, requires the construction of a primary structure prior to the construction or placement of any accessory structure(s). For residentially zoned land, a primary structure would be a single family home. 

An accessory structure is a structure on the same property as a primary structure and the use of which is incidental to the use of the primary structure such as a garage, storage shed, or greenhouse. A permit is required for any accessory structure that is to be used for habitation of any kind regardless of the size of the structure. Accessory structures below 200 square feet that are not used for habitation (i.e. cooking, sleeping, bathrooms), do not require a building permit but still must meet all zoning regulations and developmental standards such as property line setbacks. 

Adopted Building Codes per Resolution 23-35 Effective 6.28.23

ICC International Residential Code 2018 

ICC International Building Code 2018

ICC International Mechanical Code 2018

ICC Energy Conservation Code 2018 

ICC International Fire Code 2018

ICC International Plumbing Code 2018

ICC International Fuel Gas Code 2018

National Electric Code 2020 


Snow and Wind Load Map

Setback Verification Form

Surveyor List

Reroof Requirements (Note: Physical mid roof inspections are mandatory.)

Basement Finish/Remodel Guide

Detached Garage Guide

One-story Addition Guide

Patios and Carports Guide

Uncovered Decks Guide

Fence Guide

Contact Community Development
For general assistance contact staff: 



For questions about a project currently in plan review, a previous inspection, or questions about building code contact a Building Inspector/Plan Reviewer:


*Do not use this number to request an inspection, to pay for a permit, or to inquire about planning and zoning related permits and processes. 

Inspection Days
Mondays & Wednesdays Only

Office Hours
Monday - Thursday
7:30am to 5:30pm

Brian Smith
Code Compliance Officer

Kristine Sacco
Permit Tech/Office Assistant

James Shrout
Planner 1

Rob Gutierrez


Building Permits are Required to:
  • Construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure.
  • Erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system.
  • Grade, excavate, fill or cut existing ground.
Building Permits are Not Required for any the Following:
  • One-story detached accessory structures that are not used for habitation and are under 200 square feet. You must have a primary structure to have a legal accessory structure. For most land in the county that means you must have a single family home to have any legal accessory structures. Regardless of its size, all structures must meet ALL of the requirements and standards of the Gilpin County Zoning Regulations. 
  • Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet (1219mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
  • Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18.927L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
  • Sidewalks and driveways (however a Driveway/Access Permit from Public Works is required).
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
  • Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep.
  • Swings and other playground equipment.
  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches (1372mm) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
  • Decks not exceeding 200 square feet (18.58m2) in area, that are not more than 30 inches (762mm) above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4.
Engineered Plans

Gilpin County requires all plans to be include an original stamp of a Colorado licensed engineer or architect except as exempted below: *

  • Single story detached garages or sheds up to 250 square feet where wall height does not exceed 10’ and garage door opening does not exceed 8’ in width. Such space shall not include living space and shall not be heated or plumbed.
  • Decks not more than 3 feet above grade with floor joist span < 10’.

* If, in the estimation of the plans reviewer, code compliance cannot be confidently established from the plans submitted, engineered drawing shall be required.

Land Survey Requirements

Proposed development where any of the following is true shall provide a land survey plat before permit is issued:

  • Any parcel legally described as a mining claim, lode, mill, placer, or identified by a M. S. number by deed or title; or, a previously divided portion of any of the above.
  • All commercial development on commercially zoned land.
  • All sites abutting, adjoining or crossed by the Gilpin County line.
  • All sites traversed by an existing non-platted access road serving additional offsite lots or parcels shall require a land survey and centerline description of said non-platted road.

Where building improvements are proposed to be within 10’ of the applicable setback line, or where a setback variance was granted by the Board of Adjustment, a Setback Verification Form signed and stamped by a Colorado licensed PLS shall be required.

Community Development Footer