Building Permits

Permit Process Details

Contractor Registration Required

Effective May 1, 2021 Gilpin County requires all contractors to obtain registration.

Apply for Contractor Registration

Building Permits are Required to:
  • Construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure.
  • Erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system.
  • Grade, excavate, fill or cut existing ground.
Building Permits are Not Required for any the Following:
  • One-story detached accessory structures, provided that the floor area does not exceed 120 Square feet 18.5m2).
  • Fences not over 4 feet high.
  • Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet (1219mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
  • Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18.927L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
  • Sidewalks and driveways (however a Driveway/Access Permit from Public Works is required).
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
  • Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep.
  • Swings and other playground equipment.
  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches (1372mm) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
  • Decks not exceeding 200 square feet (18.58m2) in area, that are not more than 30 inches (762mm) above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4.
Permit Types

Access Permit
Gilpin County requires an access permit when creating, adjusting or adding to a driveway and when accessing a County maintained road. Applications are available through the Gilpin County Road and Bridge Department (303) 582-5004.

Septic Permits
For all septic information or water testing contact the Gilpin County Public and Environmental Health Department (303) 582-5831.

Wells/Well Permits
For well permits and well information contact the Colorado Division of Water Resources at (303) 866-3581 or

Electrical or Plumbing Permits
Permits for any type of electrical or plumbing work must be obtained from and inspected by the State of Colorado. Click to obtain a Colorado State electrical or plumbing permit.

Engineered Plans

Gilpin County requires all plans to be include an original stamp of a Colorado licensed engineer or architect except as exempted below: *

  • Single story detached garages or sheds up to 250 square feet where wall height does not exceed 10’ and garage door opening does not exceed 8’ in width. Such space shall not include living space and shall not be heated or plumbed.
  • Decks not more than 3 feet above grade with floor joist span < 10’.

* If, in the estimation of the plans reviewer, code compliance cannot be confidently established from the plans submitted, engineered drawing shall be required.

Snow and Wind Loads

Snow loads vary throughout the county from 60 - 125 pounds per square foot roof load. See link to Snow and Wind Load Map below.

Wind loads vary between 130 -180 mph 3-second gust Exposure C. However, the majority of the County lies within the 130 mph zone. See link to Snow and Wind Load Map below.

Land Survey Requirements

Proposed development where any of the following is true shall provide a land survey plat before permit is issued:

  • Any parcel legally described as a mining claim, lode, mill, placer, or identified by a M. S. number by deed or title; or, a previously divided portion of any of the above.
  • All commercial development on commercially zoned land.
  • All sites abutting, adjoining or crossed by the Gilpin County line.
  • All sites traversed by an existing non-platted access road serving additional offsite lots or parcels shall require a land survey and centerline description of said non-platted road.

Where building improvements are proposed to be within 10’ of the applicable setback line, or where a setback variance was granted by the Board of Adjustment, a Setback Verification Form signed and stamped by a Colorado licensed PLS shall be required.

Frost Line

30 inches or bedrock, whichever is less.

Application and Submittal Requirements

Complete application must be submitted to the Building Department. All submittals must include 1 full sized set plus one reduced copy not greater than 11”x17”. A $100.00 Plan Review Fee must be paid at time of initial submittal.

Apply for a Permit

If you are new to the online permitting process, please refer to our help guide.

Apply for a Permit Online

Inspection Requests

Call (303) 515-4355 to request an inspection. Required inspections are listed on the permit display card.

The permit card must be on display at all times and accompanied by a set of approved building plans.

Inspections are performed on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Completion of Work

Once a building permit is obtained the following work shall be complete before a Certificate of Occupancy, Certificate of Completion or a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy can be issued:

  • Final Access (Road and Bridge Department)
  • Final Sanitation (Public Health Department)
  • Final Electric (State of Colorado)
  • Working Heat Source
  • Working Water Supply
  • Usable Kitchen Area
  • At Least One Working Bathroom
  • Weather Proofing
  • Basic Safety (railings, door bolts, etc.)

Finishing work such as cabinetry, carpeting, tiling, trim and paint is not required for a Certificate of Occupancy, Certificate of Completion or a Temporary Certificate of Completion.

Contact Us

Inspection Request Hotline

General Building Questions
303-582-5831 ext. 4

Office Hours

Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.