Building Department

Building Department Header

Building Inspection Requests

We are unable to answer every inbound phone call. We strongly encourage you to email us. If you do call, leave a voicemail with the details of your issue and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

We are developing a new process for inspection requests that should be deployed by mid-January. We are no longer utilizing the inspection hotline message system for scheduling inspections. We are no longer utilizing the inspection hotline message system for scheduling inspections. We are not guaranteeing next day inspection. Request an inspection and then we will follow up and confirm a date and time window for your inspection. 

Processing & Plan Review Time

Please be advised that processing times for building permits have increased. New single family dwellings can take 8-12 weeks from application. Other permits can take 4-8 weeks from application. If you fail to provide complete plans, if plan changes are required, this will increase your permit processing time. Please plan your project accordingly. If you start work without a permit, you will be subject to an enforcement action. 

Online Application Portal for Permits

All permits must be applied for through our online portal. If you need assistance with your application, please contact staff. 

Apply for a Permit

Contractor Registration Required

Contractors must provide proof of passing score for applicable ICC exam or have a valid license from another ICC jurisdiction. 

Apply for Contractor Registration

Electrical and Plumbing Permits

All electrical and plumbing permits in unincorporated Gilpin County currently run through the State of Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies. To apply visit: Division of Professions and Occupations: Electrical and Plumbing Permits | Division of Professions and Occupations (

Building Permit Fees

Fee Schedule Effective 10.1.22

Adopted Building Codes

ICC International Residential Code 2015 Resolution 16-03

ICC International Building Code 2015 Resolution 16-04

IECC 2015 Resolution 16-05


Snow and Wind Load Map

Setback Verification Form

Surveyor List

Reroof Requirements (Note: Physical mid roof inspections are mandatory.)

Basement Finish/Remodel Guide

Detached Garage Guide

One-story Addition Guide

Patios and Carports Guide

Uncovered Decks Guide

Fence Guide

Contact Us

To request an inspection or to ask a question, email staff: and 

General Questions & Inspection Requests

Office Hours

Monday - Thursday
7:30am to 5:30pm


Building Permits are Required to:
  • Construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure.
  • Erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system.
  • Grade, excavate, fill or cut existing ground.
Building Permits are Not Required for any the Following:
  • One-story detached accessory structures, provided that the floor area does not exceed 120 Square feet 18.5m2).
  • Fences not over 4 feet high.
  • Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet (1219mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
  • Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18.927L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
  • Sidewalks and driveways (however a Driveway/Access Permit from Public Works is required).
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
  • Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep.
  • Swings and other playground equipment.
  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches (1372mm) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
  • Decks not exceeding 200 square feet (18.58m2) in area, that are not more than 30 inches (762mm) above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4.
Engineered Plans

Gilpin County requires all plans to be include an original stamp of a Colorado licensed engineer or architect except as exempted below: *

  • Single story detached garages or sheds up to 250 square feet where wall height does not exceed 10’ and garage door opening does not exceed 8’ in width. Such space shall not include living space and shall not be heated or plumbed.
  • Decks not more than 3 feet above grade with floor joist span < 10’.

* If, in the estimation of the plans reviewer, code compliance cannot be confidently established from the plans submitted, engineered drawing shall be required.

Land Survey Requirements

Proposed development where any of the following is true shall provide a land survey plat before permit is issued:

  • Any parcel legally described as a mining claim, lode, mill, placer, or identified by a M. S. number by deed or title; or, a previously divided portion of any of the above.
  • All commercial development on commercially zoned land.
  • All sites abutting, adjoining or crossed by the Gilpin County line.
  • All sites traversed by an existing non-platted access road serving additional offsite lots or parcels shall require a land survey and centerline description of said non-platted road.

Where building improvements are proposed to be within 10’ of the applicable setback line, or where a setback variance was granted by the Board of Adjustment, a Setback Verification Form signed and stamped by a Colorado licensed PLS shall be required.

Frost Line

30 inches or bedrock, whichever is less.

Completion of Work

Once a building permit is obtained the following work shall be complete before a Certificate of Occupancy, Certificate of Completion or a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy can be issued:

  • Final Access (Road and Bridge Department)
  • Final Sanitation (Public Health Department)
  • Final Electric (State of Colorado)
  • Working Heat Source
  • Working Water Supply
  • Usable Kitchen Area
  • At Least One Working Bathroom
  • Weather Proofing
  • Basic Safety (railings, door bolts, etc.)

Finishing work such as cabinetry, carpeting, tiling, trim and paint is not required for a Certificate of Occupancy, Certificate of Completion or a Temporary Certificate of Completion.

Community Development Footer